David Steffen writes video processing algorithms for traffic control systems by day, and writes fiction at other times. He lives with his wife and three dogs in Minnesota.
He is the co-founder of the Submission Grinder, and co-edits the non-fiction zine Diabolical Plots. His fiction has been published in many great venues including Escape Pod, Daily Science Fiction, Bull Spec, AE, and Pseudopod, as well as Tina Connolly’s Toasted Cake podcast.
David has been running periodic "Best Of" podcast fiction lists for many years.
- Diabolical Plots Best of
- The Best Podcast Fiction of 2014 for SF Signal
- a mega-list of The Best Podcast Fiction of All Time, also for SF Signal
He has also created the Long List Anthology, which is a self-publishing anthology project collecting stories from the longer Hugo Award nomination list. (Info and vendors here.) Among other points of interest, it includes several stories that have been previously published in Escape Artists casts: "Makeisha in Time", "The Truth About Owls", "When It Ends, He Catches Her"
Work on Escape Artists
- EP375 Marley and Cratchit, read by Emma Newman
- PP169 The Disconnected, read by Rich Sigfrit
- PP228 Flash On The Borderlands VII – Tableaux & Displays: "What Makes You Tick" read by W. Ralph Walters
- PP330 Flash On The Borderlands XV: At Your Service!: "Meat," read by Josh Roseman
- PP Bonus Helpers, read by Rikki LaCoste
- PC347 Flash Fiction Extravaganza: Great Power, Greater Responsibilities: “So You’ve Decided to Adopt a Zeptonian Baby!” read by Rish Outfield
- PC390 Flash Fiction Extravaganza: Bears: “My Wife is a Bear in the Morning," read by Sean D Sorrentino